Thursday 20 October 2011

All in a game of Memory

In my previous posts I have analysed the game, this time I will post on what I was doing and my thoughts on my recent game of memory.

I sat down on my lounge floor, my daughter joined me. We both shared the responsibility of spreading the cards.   We placed them upside down onto the floor in a rectangular shape; careful not to put them on top of each other.  My daughter said she would go first.  I observed and tried to memorise her move and also plan what ones i was thinking I wanted to turn over.  When I take my turn I am constantly trying to remember where cards are and plan my next move.  I am easily distracted, yet my daughter is not.  At times I forget where cards are that have been recently turned over.  At this time I realise how much better my daughter’s memory and focus is, than to my own.  My daughter manages to end the game with more pairs than myself (as always).  My daughter has always shown to me since she was little an amazing ability to recall times and events, so it does not surprise me that she is able to recall where cards are in a game of memory.

Ergonomics: environmental space required to play was considered, for example, using my lounge floor as it has plenty of space to spread the cards out.  Person and activity/occupational factors taken into consideration were individuals playing that are able to memorise, recall, take turns, and plan moves.

Affordances: communication between myself and daughter.  Connections and links to my daughter and her ability to recall since a very early age times and events.    

The need to do the activity: the need to take a break and spend time with my daughter with something we both enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. Memory sounds like a great game paula! I like how you use this game to interact with your daughter and use it to take a break :)

    ReplyDelete