Thursday 20 October 2011

Affordances continued

Ambience is defined by Merrium-Webster (2011) as “a feeling or mood associated with a particular place, person, or thing”. 

Ambience for me is how my mood and feelings affects the game of memory.

Feelings of anticipation, and sometimes dissapointment are evoked for me when playing a game of memory.  Anticipation of what card to pick up next, and am I going to win; dissapointment of picking up what you thought the cards match was, but it was not.
 
Mood
To participate in the game of memory you need to want to play the game.  If the mood that is set before playing the game is high; enthusiasm and participation in the game is likely.  As opposed to if your mood is low; participation in the game is unlikely.  For example, when I am feeling stressed my mood is low, I am preoccupied in resolving my stressed situation.  I am at this time unlikely to have time to stop and really enjoy a game of memory; therefore often I will not play the game.

Spirituality
A game of memory for me spiritually evokes a feeling of giving and receiving. I give my daughter time to spend with me, and I receive gratitude of feeling like a mother that takes the time out of a busy day to spend with her daughter. 


In class I am asked the question "What will I miss if I couldn't do this activity?"  

If I was unable to play a game of memory a number of affordances would be lost.  Firstly, I would loose connections.  Connections formed between my daughter and I of bringing us together, and down time. Secondly, I would loose communications.  Communications between my daughter and I, as a mother/daughter relationship, friendship, and partnership. Thirdly, ethics.  Ethics of the good and joy a game of memory brings to my life.  Lastly, memories.  I have many fond memories of playing cards with family growing up, and this is something I wish to share with my daughter, and make new memories for her to pass on to her children.  

 

References

Ambience. (2011). In Merriam-Webster.com. Retrieved October 19, 2011, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ambience

No comments:

Post a Comment