Thursday 8 September 2011

Semester 2 with a whole new focus on Participation in Occupation

I have started a new semester; therefore I have now entered my next paper Participation in Occupation 2.  The focus of Participation in Occupation 2 is on activities.  The Activity I have chosen to talk about is a game of 'Memory'. 

Experience
As a child I experienced playing many games.  Games are defined as being pleasurable activities participated by one or more individuals (Santrock, 1998).  Furthermore, games are often structured, interactive and governed by rules, and sometimes competitive in nature (Santrock, 1998).  One interactive game I participated in with my sisters was a card game called Memory.  Memory is played with deck of cards spread out and turned over.  The aim is to turn one card over and then find its match.  I remember trying so hard to memorise where each card was so I could try to finally beat my sisters at this game, unfortunately I wasn't able to do this often. 

Meaning
The game brought my sisters and I together, it was competitive, challenging, and a game that required concentration and patience.
I have passed on the experience of playing memory now to my daughter.  I find this game enjoyable, challenging, and also great for the educational purposes for my daughter.  Unfortunately, not much has changed over the years in terms of winning the game of memory; my daughter wins majority of the time.  We often play a game of memory each night after dinner, once other chores have been done.  I find the game a good opportunity for both my daughter and I to wind down for the evening, and to bringing us both together.  Additionally, it allows us an opportunity to talk about our day.


References
Santrock, J. (1998). Child development (8th ed.). United States of America: McGraw – Hill Companies.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paula

    This is a nice introduction to your occupation of playing "Memory", it's interesting to think of a game as being defined to always have structure and rules especially when thinking about children playing games as at times it would seem they actually done have any rules to there games but I guess they would, even if it's in a very basic form :)
    In relation to "Memory" do you think that if you were to use it as an OT or OT student the meaning of it would change much in therapy or would it keep most of the reasons for engaging in it?

    Cheers
    Nancy :)

    ReplyDelete